As I’ve mentioned before mall hopping is the thing to do when you’re a mom of a toddler and the weather is still stinky here in New Jersey. So, until spring decides to grace us with its presence, we’re visiting the malls in northern New Jersey, arguably the mall capital of the world. Next on our list is The Outlets at Bergen Town Center. In the not so distant past, this was known as the Bergen Mall, or in my family as the dirt mall. It had been one of our favorites when I was a kid. There was this round, majestic fountain, where we’d throw in pennies and make a wish. Sometimes, we would have ice cream. Sometimes, we would have pizza. Always, we would seek out the sales at Stern’s. But by the time I was in high school, the place had become a relic of the past. To boot, there were all sorts of let’s-just-say “interesting characters” hanging out there. The only reason anyone would stop by was for the GAP Outlet and CVS. Times have changed. The place is sparkling and new. And it has some great benefits for parents of little ones:
- Outlet stores means outlet prices. You’ll find Carter’s, Gymboree, and Disney Store outlets, not to mention Target. Oh, and the GAP Outlet is still there – and it’s been renovated and moved, too. There’s also a Whole Foods if your child likes to drink a gallon of milk when out on the town. Maybe that’s just my little milkaholic.
- The fish tanks are a great distraction. When Baby Boy starts to lose his mind, which happens frequently when we’re in public, we need something to calm him down pronto. If the gallon of milk doesn’t work, a big tropical fish tank will. And it did when we were at this mall last Friday (see photo above).
- There are some good eats. Bobby Flay’s burgers, a pizza joint, and Subway have all worked out well for Baby Boy and me. I know burgers are not so healthy, but once in a while, you just gotta, especially when you live part of the year in Italy, where the beef has an aftertaste that I still can’t identify. You can get healthier fare at the pizza place and Subway for moms who are concerned.
- The seating areas are rather large and placed all over the center aisle of the mall. I’ve relaxed here when Baby Boy has fallen asleep in his stroller, a rarity that has me shouting, “Amen!” and hearing harps and chirping doves. Bring your Kindle along and you might really feel as though you’re in Heaven.
- If you’re lucky, you’ll catch a show. A group of teenagers in a tap dance troupe performed for Baby Boy and a crowd at the mall last Friday. Baby Boy was delightfully mesmerized, which means this Italian Mamma was just plain delighted.