A celebration of love is in order, perhaps never more than today. And there are lovely ways to show love to your friends and family. The sign above is one of my favorite Valentine’s Day gifts ever. My son and I made it for my husband. It couldn’t be simpler and you can make one for someone you love in no time at all:
Discover how to make a sign of love with baby’s hand and feet prints:
- Frame (Make sure it’s big enough to fit baby’s one handprint and feet prints)
- Cardstock (one larger piece that is the size of the frame in a color of your choosing to serve as the background and one smaller piece of white paper for the actual artwork)
- Paint (I used watercolors for the letters, but you could use other types of paint to make the letters less faint. It’s entirely up to you.)
- More washable paint or washable jumbo stamp pad (for making baby’s handprint and feet print)
- Glue or double sided tape
- Fine point pen or marker
Make your marks.
- Take your piece of white paper. Use one lighter shade (or simply a different color) paint to make the “L.”
- Take baby’s hand and either use a brush to paint the darker or different color paint onto baby’s hand before turning it down onto the paper after the “L” to stand in for “O.” I would test the paint or ink pad first to make sure it is truly washable. I used an ink pad that said it was washable but my son’s hand and feet were blue like a Smurf’s for a few days. Hey, it happens!
- Do the same with the bottom of both baby’s feet as you did with the one hand. Make sure to place them down on the paper to form the shape of a “V.”
- Write the “E” with the paint of your choice. (In my case it was the same color as the “L.”) Don’t feel limited by my choices. Use your own imagination and preferences. By the way, I used blue because I have a boy but also because it is my husband’s favorite color. It also matches much of our house. You can pick whatever colors meet your needs. Some choose to do this in a rainbow, so every letter is a different color. You might also want to add glitz in the form of gem stickers, glitter, or sequins, which is particularly nice for mom if she is the one receiving the gift. You could paint a heart around the word love.
Di Meglio has written the Our Paesani column for ItaliansRus.com since 2003. You can follow the Italian Mamma on Facebook or Twitter @ItalianMamma10. For more handmade crafts and party gear, visit the Italian Mamma store on Etsy.